A Supernatural Blog

A Supernatural blog dedicated to spreading all the most recent news on America's favorite ghost hunting brothers.

2.13.2010

The Siren's Call: Interview with JIM PARRACK

From the 13th issue of Supernatural Magazine

Supernatural Villain Edition: The Siren's Call
Interview with JIM PARRACK
By Bryan Cairns

Official Supernatural Magazine: So how familiar were you with Supernatural before landing the role of Agent Nick Monroe?
JIM PARRACK: I had actually never watched it, but I live close to the Warner Bros. lot so I had seen signs for it. One of the writers {Raelle Tucker} for the show I'm a regular on, True Blood, had written for it. I had definitely heard of it, though.

OSM: How was Nick described to you, and did they initially spell out that he was this treacherous Siren?
JP: I knew during the audition process, because part of the sides {script pages use for auditioning - Ed} were for scenes after that was revealed. I believe it was in the car and then another was with the two brothers at the end. He was originally described as an FBI Agent and that weird things started happening around him.

OSM: What did you like about the way Nick was introduced to the boys?
JP: I liked that there was a red herring. I remember telling the director that if I treated the doctor suspiciously and was there to investigate her, it might help throw the viewers off. I don't know if that came off, but i thought it was a good opportunity to get everyone, including Sam and Dean, to feel that way.

OSM: As an actor, was it difficult playing Nick as this human without tipping off the fact that he was actually evil?
JP: No, not really, because it seemed the only time the creature didn't have human characteristics or drive was visually. It seemed to act the way people do. Psychologically, it was normal in that it needed to be loved and people loyal to it. Those emotions are human, so the eternal monster appearance was the only otherworldly aspect of it, and special effects takes care of that. On the inside, the thing operated the same as everyone else. It was pretty easy to think it made sense to see what kind of person somebody would love and then show that to them.

OSM: Speaking of presenting your heart's desire, how was that bonding moment between Nick and Dean?
JP: I liked it, and I like Jensen Ackles a lot. He grew up one town over from me in Texas. I enjoyed sitting back, knocking back fake drinks, and telling stories. It was easy hanging out and having a nice time. I also liked the idea of playing this game of, "I'm confused. What could possibly be happening?" Then there was letting Dean know I liked him, was interest in music, and admired his car. It was fun because you knew where we were ultimately going.

OSM: It's interesting because the Siren could have just been a bloodthirsty, needy menace, but they made it deceptive and manipulative.
JP: Yeah, It could have been purely sensual, but if a creature like that had to deal with people, its instinct to receive isn't going to fly because of the way it looks. That's why it has to manipulate, and that doesn't happen anywhere else in nature. It could have been just a predatory sexual creature if it had been attractive enough that people would respond to it.

OSM: Once the brothers were enthralled and the Siren's true nature was revealed, did you approach Nick's mannerisms or speech pattern any differently?
JP: Yeah, at that point, I thought he should be ambiguously sexual. As the FBI Agent he was a guy's guy, but this creature wasn't a guy or a girl. I tried to find something in between and enjoyed having control over these boys in a sexual way. It's a strange way to describe it.

OSM: Considering the Siren initially appears as a female that seduced men, it was almost as if gender wasn't a factor for it.
JP: Right, which is really bizarre. There had to be some way to get that across without being ridiculous. When the brothers found out I was the Siren, I couldn't keep acting like a woman and it wouldn't have been real if I kept going as a man. I tried to find something almost neutral, but displaying some kind of sexual tension. It was weird, and I don't know how I came up with that.

OSM: How was the scene of the Siren spraying toxin into Sam's mouth done?
JP: The process was interesting. We did a couple of takes and one of them was from the side. A prop guy had a little squirt gun, which he held on the far side of my head so you could see it. There were a couple of times I had to look into the camera and open my mouth wide. They already had an idea of what they wanted to do with the special effects. I was impress how they put it all together, especially with shooting the actual liquid from the side and somehow making it look like it was coming from my mouth. There was lots of joking around about that particular shot.

OSM: We can imagine, since Jared and Jensen have such a famous sense of humor.
JP: They're really funny guys. There was a little concern that maybe the liquid was a color or shade that insinuated something inappropriate. They wanted to make it a little clearer than it was, so it didn't give the wrong impression. We certainly had a good time with that. I remember telling both those guys "I don't think my dad made a dollar this way!"

OSM: How did it feel not only to be that episode's spooky menace, but be pivotal in escalating that tension between Sam and Dean?
JP: That was pretty cool. Like I mentioned, I didn't know much about the show coming into it, but once I was there, director Charles Beeson gave me a couple of seasons to watch in my trailer. I really got into it, and going back to season two, you can see that conflict starting. I didn't realized I was part of something so significant. I don't know where it's gone since, but a good friend of mine {Katherine Boecher} had just gotten cast as Lilith, the demon they talk about throughout the season.

OSM: What kind of direction did Charles give you when you saw your nasty reflection in the mirror?
JP: I remember it being really technical, because they had to put in the other guy to invert the image. I remember thinking, "How does this thing deal with death if you're not a normal person?" Then it was like, "Am I being lazy saying it's a creature and it doesn't know what's going on?" I remember Charles didn't want it to be too emotional.

OSM: Did they give you any indication of what the Siren looked like, or did you have to wait until the episode aired like everyone else?
JP: No, I met the guy {who played the Siren} and I actually only got to meet him when he was in his Siren get up. It was cool. He came out, and needed some assistance walking because he had all that make-up on, and they just shot the mirror so it was actually his reflection. I had an idea of what he looked like, which was hideous and terrifying.

OSM: Would you have rather put up a fight than gotten a knife in the back?
JP: Absolutely, and that has a lot more to do with me. It makes sense to flee and get out of there to survive, but as an actor and a guy, I wish I had fought them. The thing's strength was more intellectual, but I would have rather done something other than run off!

OSM: You touched on working with Jensen, but how was acting opposite Jared Padalecki and Jim Beaver?
JP: I didn't work with Jim too much, but again, all those guys are from Texas, so we had that in common. I liked Jared a lot, too. I feel these are like guys I grew up with, so I felt very familiar and comfortable with t hem. Jared's a funny dude. I remember being particularly impressed when Jensen did this shot where he had to go over and get the axe after he knocked Jared down. They're so comfortable with each other, and Jared was on the ground making fart noises with his mouth and rolling around. Jensen did what he had to do and didn't respond. After we were done, I was like , "Damn, that's pretty good concentration." After four years, I guess you get good at it and are having a fun time with each other.

OSM: It seems there was a lot of on-location night shoots. Was this a tiring episode to do?
JP: Not really. For some reason, I prefer working at night. I just got married in October, so we got home at the beginning of November and by the beginning of December, I was in Canada. It was really Christmassy and wonderful, which made me really miss my wife. I felt very lonely the whole time I was there. I thought that was probably the motivating force of this creature, who was just trying to be loved.

OSM: Viewers probably recognize you as Hoyt from another supernatural drama, True Blood. Has that shows' success surprised you?
JP: Nooooo! Initially, I was concerned. When we were doing it, we all really liked the concept and believed in the series a lot. When It premiered, some of the reviews were terrible and people were taking shots at the creator, Alan Ball. By the end of the season, our viewership had gone up and the same critics were now saying it was one of the best shows on TV. It was amazing to win people over, but I"m not surprised because of the people involved. Just like with Supernatural, sci-fi and fantasy fans are very loyal and the coolest fans you can have.

OSM: Lastly, Sam and Dean vanquished your Siren, but how would they have fared against the vampires in True Blood?
JP: You know what? They'd be in trouble! Obviously, some vampires are nicer than others, but some are several thousand years old. As much as I like Sam and Dean, there are probably some vampires and creatures in True Blood that they'd have a tough time with!



===========
Source:
Supernatural Magazine, Issue #13, Dec09/Jan10.
Bryan Cairns

No comments:

Post a Comment